Sunday, July 11, 2010

The great EYE scare. Or as I see it. Why the Monkeys shouldnt jump on the bed!


Ok short story to get to the longer story.lol. Having been in a hospital a couple times and having worked in an assisted living home I have always been a big fan of the carts they have that roll under the bed and you can set things on, ya for those places its normally food but why does it have to be. I have always thought they would make an awesome laptop table. And so after Kyra was born and I accually had a laptop my search for such a table was on. And let me tell you not easy to find. Then just last year while in Big Lots of all places I found one!! And someone had the same idea I had because it was even labled as a Laptop table. And so my husband who loves me and knew how long I had been looking for something got it for me as an eary birthday gift. I have to say I love it since I do like to write when the girls go to bed, and I love to write in bed. Ok short story (kind of) is over and on to the point of the blog.

So I have this table in my room and without thinking to much I hadnt pushed it back far enough from my bed the night before. Normally not a big deal it would just be a case of me stubbing a toe or something on it. But on this day Ember and I were sitting on the bed as she had walked up to me and informed me in her very say so tone she can get that she had a poo butt. Thats right the kid doesnt say much but that is something she has no issue telling me. So we changed the poo butt and I was thinking she would be on her way. But no she thought it would be far more exciting to jump on our bed. so we were playing I would tickle her and she would be goofy and jump around. All good and fine till she bounced a little close to the edge and instead of going off the edge she hit just the corner of my little table that has rounded corners. 

Now being mommy I instantly wanted to calm her down while seeing how bad it was and somehow she had hit it hard enough or just right and she had cut right next to her eye. And so with lighting speed I was on the phone calling our pediatrician and leaving a message for the nurse (by the way I HATE that about doctors these days I need to talk to someone now and they want me to leave a message) And then called my mom and she had no ideas because none of us had ever done anything like this. And then left a message for Justin to call seeing as he had the car, incase the peds called back and said to come in. Then called them about 3 more times. And then Justin called and said he was on his way. Then mom called to see what was going on and if I had heard from the doctor (its a good thing I have call waiting huh)  All while dealing with a little girl that by this time had cryed herself into being tired because she did it right at nap time, and trying to keep her awake, she wasnt digging that and was still crying. So finally the nurse called back and said she could sleep just to make sure she was rousable. And to keep an eye on her for 48 hours (did you know with a head injury its accually up to 2 weeks things can happen but the first 48 hours are the major time, not the first 8?Learned that one from our little Ember as well) We were also to watch her balance to see if she was any more off balance then your average almost 2 year old, as they tend to be off balance anyway still.And if her temp to hit 105 or higher. Any of these things would mean a trip to the ER, Not that I wouldnt have been rushing her in with a temp anywere near 105 anyway even if she hadnt hit her head. But she told me to calm down and just relax. Why do they always tell us that I wonder?

Anyway I called Justin to tell him what they had said, seeing as he was on the way home anyway just in case. Then called mom to let her know. And then started keeping a hawks eye watch on her. Now the pics are not the day it happended, but the day after when I was a little less worried about it and we figured that a first ever black eye was one for the scrap books. And after alot of back and forth on my part worth a blog post, with the hopes that my friends would see my little tom boy and not think to bad about me for letting her get hurt.

And for the end I would love to say this taught my little monkey not to jump on beds but I cant. She still sn the first to jump on any surface be it bed or title or new blocks in the back yard. But I can say that mommy has learned to put away my table and make it a little safer for my little monkey.


The day after it happened you can really see the cut and that is what really freaked me out.
She was willing kind of to close her eye so I could get a pic of the black just starting.


She wasnt into the picture on this day so you cant really see other then that she isnt bothered by it.

Had to show it off better on this day and  you can see the black really coming in but the little cut is all but gone.
Being goofy in bed and trying to lick mommy. but as you can see we had moved on to the mostly yellow.
Last day she let me get a pic. And as you can see she was tired of getting a pic everyday. But the cut is gone and its almost healed. The black eye only lasted about a week but it scared mommy forever. Funny how kids can do that to us huh?

2 comments:

John and Clara Balsmeier said...

I am glad that she is okay. It's always scary when they do stuff like that. Our latest scare was when Ethan fell out of the shopping cart onto his face!! Yeah, it makes me cringe to think about that mental picture and the sound turns my stomach. That was not a good day.

Sarah said...

So scary. I'm glad she is okay!! Sadie fell out of bed last night and woke up this morning with a bruised nose with blood on her lip. I felt so bad.